Updated: April 2019
Before you read the needs list, please read this instructive post about the standards we expect from our donations.
And if you want to be more specific about your donations, and I hope you all do, please read here.
Our most current needs:
For my clients: –
- winter clothes for women sizes 12-22
- undies (new) for women and kids
- socks (new) for kids and women
- hotel toiletries for the New Zealand Prostitute’s Collective
- normal sized toiletries, cosmetics, perfumes
- winter pyjamas for kids, please, all sizes
Preferred are sweatshirts, and leggings at the moment. All sizes. Jerseys. No bold patterns or colours, in the main. Nothing flowery. The women prefer blacks and greys. Skinny jeans by preference.
If you have any of the above things, please either message me @whaeapower on Twitter, or message me through our FB page, or you can email me. I will give you Donna’s address to drop off at, or you can take donations to our storage unit in Wiri. You may send items, also, to Karolynne’s address. Message me for details, please.
Reminder! Everything must be in immaculate condition and FRESHLY washed. This makes a huge difference to the women when they come to get what they need. Manky – slightly stained, dull whites etc – is not okay, and is thrown away immediately.
We need a fridge for one of the women, and a washing machine, please.
Please, also, if what you’re looking to donate is not on this list, email me. Or if you’d like to phone me, do that. I’m on 0275228115. Basically, if it’s not on the list, we don’t need it.
Things we need all the time:
The whole idea of the Aunties is that our people get the best we can get them, and we intend to keep it that way. If you have designer clothes that need a home, we now have The Aunties Shop. These clothes not only go on sale, but are also for the women who come to the storage unit. They have made a lot of women very very happy. Lara has put in place a very simple and direct way of buying these items as cheap as chips.
Please always bear in mind that, in any given year, we service and care for a lot of people, most of whom are dealing with the fall out of family/street or intimate partner violence. Their needs are many, and our aim is to provide them with as many of those needs as is practicable. We keep up with most needs but we always need more. And our kaupapa is meeting needs with aroha. If you don’t give with love, then please give to another charity, and not to us. This is the way this has to be.
So what do we need, all the time? And how can you help us?
We are inviting people to subscribe so that Jackie can get paid for the really important work that she does. If you are interested and would like to contribute you can read more about that here.
The bank account for those subscriptions is 12-3019-0022633-01
We always always need money. Always. Your money is spent on many and varied needs of our clients, from food to gifts or hair dye or spending sprees for teenagers or tyres…..you get the gist. The list goes on. I am increasingly doing online grocery shopping for women – this works well for them because they can send me an extensive list to stock up the pantry, and freezer (meat, eggs, butter and milk are so expensive), and they can trust that I will get them everything on their list. Most of them, the ones I work with long term, prefer this to me giving them PNS gift cards because it’s delivered right to their door and they don’t have to use petrol they can ill afford.
As well, our outgoings have increased with the number of clients I work with. I would spend around $8,000 a month or more on community clients, and we give financial assistance to the organisations we work to the tune of around $3000 a month. So keep looking down the back of those sofas, cos every penny counts.
You may also deposit funds in our bank account.
It is most useful to us if you set up an automatic payment weekly or monthly. If you would to be receipted, please email email@example.com
And contributing via our Givealittle funding page is the easiest option. Please be aware that funds given in a month don’t come to our bank account until the FOLLOWING month.
If you would like a receipt, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will sort that for you.
2. Food. Most of the time, I just do online shopping from lists. However. Fresh fruit/veges/meat are always appreciated. If you have a source of those in any quantity, or you’d like to support one of the whānau we work with in this manner, just ask me and I will connect you directly with them. Same goes with cooking. If you want to give a woman a break, by cooking some meals for her freezer, let me know and I will give their contact details to you. (These would be women in the community).
3. Furniture. Clients of both the emergency housing team of the Salvation Army, and Te Whanau Rangimarie are always in need of furniture. The Sallies can pick up, but TWR can only occasionally pick up so if you can drop off, that’s perfect. Our women often need appliances, especially, but we don’t have any way of picking these up, so you would need to be able to drop off to them. If you have something you wish to donate, message me via the FB page, email me, or DM on twitter, and pls include a photo.
4. Undies/socks for women and kids in all sizes
5. Toiletries (hotel) for the NZPC, and normal sized ones for our clients. Nothing opened. Nothing used.
The biggest way you can help us to get our whānau what they need is to share this blog, and/or find us on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/refugeaunties – I keep the Facebook page updated daily with needs, and stories.
Many thanks for your interest, and compassion. We can’t do this without you.
You can contact me @whaeapower on Twitter
Or email me at email@example.com
You are also very welcome to ring/text me on 0275228115.