Updated: November 2017
I currently work in depth with a growing number of organisations, providing clothes, bedding etc and some additional needs for our most vulnerable citizens.
If you have stuff to give to the me for any of our people, please message me via Facebook/email me/Tweet me, and I will add you a schedule for weekend pickup.
Please, also, if what you’re looking to donate is not on this list, email me. Or if you’d like to phone me, do that. I’m on 0275228115.
We have the storage unit, but space is still somewhat limited! I like clothing items, and bedding to be put in black rubbish sacks. I will not take bedding or clothes that aren’t freshly laundered or nice. The whole idea of the Aunties is that our people get the best we can get them, and we intend to keep it that way. If you have designer clothes that need a home, we now have The Aunties Shop. Please contact me through the Aunties Facebook page and we can arrange collection.
We sell these clothes on, for very reasonable prices, and the money currently will be going to buy dressing gowns for the women and kids in the refuge, and emergency house.
Please always bear in mind that, in any given year, we service and care for a lot of people, most of whom are dealing with the fall out of family/street or intimate partner violence. Their needs are many, and our aim is to provide them with as many of those needs as is practicable. We keep up with most needs but we always need more.
So what do we need, currently? And how can you help us?
At the moment, we need money for a really big thing. We are paying for Te Whānau Rangimariē’s Xmas party. They’ve never had one before, so it’s going to be a biggie. Around 200-300 people will be invited. People who reside currently in their womens refuge and emergency house, current community clients, and a few ex clients. The party has been costed out at $2000, and we have raised $5000 or so from our big comedy night. Good eh? Except that we are also paying for 40 baskets and to fill them with yummy things. I have costed this out at approximately $80 per basket, but we may also have to buy the baskets as yet. So, you can see how it all adds up. We are going to need a bit extra, please, so we can give this community organisation heaps of joy, and show them a really good time.
As well, our outgoings have increased with the number of clients I work with. I would spend around $1000 a month or more on community clients, and we give financial assistance to the organisations we work to the tune of around $2000 a month. So keep looking down the back of those sofas, cos every penny counts.
Contributing to our bank account is the best option. That bank account, currently is in the names of:
MISS P R WARIN AND MRS V L EDWARDS AND OTHERS
And contributing via our Givealittle funding page is the easiest option.
If you would like a receipt, please email email@example.com and we will sort that for you.
2. Bedding/towels (2nd hand/pre-loved absolutely fine)
At the moment, we are in dire need of towels. I am having increasing numbers of women coming to the storage unit, many are community clients, and I have no towels left at all!!
3. Volunteers for the White Ribbon Awareness Day at Mangere Town Centre. We require 4, to be there from 7.30-12.30pm to shift tables and chairs around.
4. Furniture. Clients of both the emergency housing team and Te Whanau Rangimarie are always in need of furniture. At the moment, we need drawers, please. Both organisations can collect.
5. NB babies clothes and stuff. I have just been cleaned out of baby girl clothes, so I need these please. I need a cot, a pram, cloth nappies, a baby capsule and a front pack. This is for one of the refuge clients.
6. Sports stuff: balls, basketball hoop etc – these are for the kids and youth programmes that Te Whanau Rangimarie runs.
7. I have a very specific person who needs some stuff. They are an ex streetie and I met them at the Prostitutes Collective. They would like: a black maxidress, size 10 ballet flats, kilt skirts (they’re about a size 14 I think), and they adore 50’s clothing.
The biggest way you can help me to get our clients what they need is to share this blog, and/or find us on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/refugeaunties – I keep the Facebook page updated daily with needs, and stories.
Many thanks for your interest, and compassion. We can’t do this without you.
You can contact me @whaeapower on Twitter
Or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
You are also very welcome to ring/text me on 0275228115.